Ways to obtain Turkish citizenship are:
Turkish citizenship for being the spouse of a Turkish citizen
Turkish citizenship for being a long term resident in Turkey
Turkish citizenship as an Investor
Before applying for Turkish citizenship make sure that your country of origin accepts dual nationality, Otherwise you may lose your own citizenship.
As per the new regulations published in the Official Gazette on September 18, 2018, foreigners who meet any of the following conditions may be eligible for Turkish citizenship, subject to the decision of the President of the Republic of Turkey: http://www.invest.gov.tr/en-US/infocenter/news/Pages/new-turkish-citizenship-rules-encourage-foreign-investment.aspx
- Proven by the Ministry of Industry and Technology to have made a minimum fixed capital investment of USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira.
- Proven by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization to have acquired a real estate worth a minimum of USD 250,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira with a title deed restriction on its resale for at least three years.
- Proven by the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services to have created jobs for at least 50 people.
- Proven by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency to have deposited at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira in banks operating in Turkey with the condition of not to withdraw for at least three years.
- Proven by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance to have bought at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira worth of government bonds with the condition that they cannot be sold for at least three years.
- Proven by the Capital Markets Board of Turkey to have bought at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira worth of real estate investment fund share or venture capital investment fund share with the condition that they cannot be sold for at least three years.
TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY INVESTMENT – INVESTING IN A TURKISH PROPERTY
To obtain Turkish citizenship through real estate investment in Turkey, if the real estate is purchased between the dates of January 12, 2017 – September 18, 2018, the real estate shall be minimum USD 1,000,000. –
The minimum value shall be USD 250,000, if such real estate is purchased after September 19, 2018.
Type of Immovable Property
Foreigners may purchase any kind of property (house, land, field). However, if subject property is purchased without a constructed building (such as a land or a field), the foreigners shall submit the project of the property that they will build to the relevant Ministry within two (2) years.
The Number of Immovable Properties
The foreigner who will apply for a citizenship may buy more than one property. If the applicant purchases more than one property, the sum of the value of the real estates shall be $ 250.000 or more. Also each estate shall have an annotation of no- sale for at least 3 years.
Value Assessment of the Purchased Real Estate(s)
The value of the real estate shall be determined by a valuation company that has a Capital Market Board License. The report’s date shall be at most 3 months prior to the sale date. Otherwise it is not deemed valid.
Making Payments Through a Bank
The payments must be made through the bank and the receipts must be declared.
Bank receipt’s date may be after the date of selling. However, in case of a sale with a preliminary sales contract, the date of bank receipt shall be before the contract is signed before a notary public or shall be on the same day with the contract.
Determining the Exchange Rates
In this regard, following criteria shall be taken into consideration:
Exchange Rates of Bank Receipts: If the sale value of the immovable is paid in TRL, sale amount shall be converted into USD. And the rate of effective selling at the Central Bank of Republic of Turkey on the last business day before the date of each payment transaction is used.
Exchange Rates of the Real Estate Appraisal Report: In order to determine the value of Turkish Lira on the valuation report, again, the exchange rate of effective selling announced by the CBRT on the last business day before the date of the real estate appraisal report is used.
Mortgage and Attachment
A property with a charge or a mortgage may also be acquired to obtain citizenship. In this case, the price found after deducting the mortgage price/cost from the sale price shall be at least as much as the determined amount in the Regulation.
To Attach Annotation of No-Sale for at Least Three (3) Years on Immovable Property/Immovable Properties
In the registry of title deeds of the immovable property/immovable properties subject to the sales and/or preliminary sale contract, it shall be stated that “Pursuant to Article 20 of the Regulation, there is a commitment that it will not be sold for three (3) years from the date of annotation.
Required Documents for Obtaining Certificate of Conformity
- Applications are evaluated first by the Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastral Directorate of Foreign Affairs Department.
- Valid passport and its notarized Turkish translation
- Four (4) passport type pictures in colour
- Official title deed or notarized preliminary sale contract
- Real estate appraiser report
- Bank approved receipt (transfer, electronic fund transfers or bank receipt regarding blocked check) confirming that the amount has been deposited into the account of the purchasers or other relevant person by the vendors or relevant person.
- Attaching Annotation of no-sale for three (3) years on the immovable property/properties) at relevant tittle registry
The applicant must have residency or a turquoise card to get a citizenship. The spouse and children that are under 18 of the applicant may also apply for citizenship.
Making the Application
The procedure takes 2 to 5 months depending on the area of the sale.
To apply for the citizenship the following papers are needed:
-Biometric photos on a white surface (8 for the applicant, 4 for the family members)
-Spouse’s death certificate if the applicant is a widow with a Turkish translation and notarisation
-Vital document showing all family members and a marriage / divorce certificate with a Turkish translation and notarisation
-Birth certificate with a Turkish translation and notarisation
Reach Our Lawyers for Turkish Citizenship by Investment
Burcu Yılmaz Sayılgan Law firm is a well-respected Turkish citizenship by investment law firm giving the clients the most stress free and efficient services in the process of Turkish citizenship application.
Our firm is now one of the top Turkish real estate & immigration law firms in İstanbul, Fethiye, Seydikemer, Kalkan, Kas, Dalaman and in Gocek thanks to our 100% client satisfaction. You can reach our experienced English speaking Turkish citizenship lawyers through our contact page.